TRAINING EXEMPT APPLICANTS
You MUST Apply ONLINE and if necessary have the capability to scan and upload documents if necessary. The MSP website recommends using "Microsoft's Internet Explorer" Web Browser, so if you use another Web Browser you MAY have issues using the site.
If you don’t have a Maryland Driver’s License or Maryland Identification to you will have to upload a Passport Type Photograph. The ONLY Residency exemptions are for Active U.S. Military Personnel and their Spouses.
The Maryland HQL is good for 10 Years and costs $50.00, plus the cost of Live Scan Fingerprints, and Training. Renewals are $20.00 and DO NOT require Fingerprints.
You MUST pay the HQL Application Fees with a Visa or MasterCard.
BEFORE you complete the Maryland Handgun Qualification License Process you MUST have your Fingerprints taken at a Live Scan Service Provider. You CAN NOT use Ink Fingerprints or Previous Live Scan Fingerprints for the HQL Application.
Here is a list of Live Scan Service Providers: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml
The routing information to provide to the Live Scan service provider is:
Agency Authorization Number: 1300004845
Agency ORI Number: MD920511Z
Reason Fingerprinted: MD Public Safety Article, Section 5-117.1 pertaining to Handgun Qualification License
Now, here is the Application Process:
1) Go To: https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/PersonSearchResults.aspx
2) Click on Create User Account
3) After you creating your User Account, Log-On to: https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx
4) On the Web Page, click on BLUE LINK that says "Initial Application"
5) On the Drop-Down Boxes use the following Options:
-HQL Training Exempt
The FOLLOWING is accepted as Approved Training:
a. Someone who completed a Certified Safety Course. The OLD Online Handgun Safety program formerly offered no longer complies with Maryland Law. It has been superseded by the new Maryland Firearms Safety Act of 2013 which became effective on October 1, 2013.
b. Has completed a Course of Instruction in the Competency and Safety of Firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
c. Is currently a Qualified Handgun Instructor.
d. Is an Honorably Discharged Member of the Armed Forces of the United States or National Guard.
e. Is an Employee of an Armored Car Company who has a Handgun Carry Permit issued by MSP.
f. Lawfully owns a Regulated Firearm. If you already own a Handgun or Assault Weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the Training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
6) Then click Start Application and FOLLOW the examples listed below the boxes you fill out.
There are several Web Pages that you need to fill out. If you did not get Live Scan Fingerprints taken then you cannot fully complete the first Web Page until completed.
7) Enter the Live Scan Tracking Number and Date on the first Web Page of Online Application.
8) Upload any necessary Documents that prove you are Training Exempt.
9) When all the forms are filled out, submit them with your Master Card or Visa Credit Card Information for the $50.00 fee, and wait.
10) When all the forms are filled out, submit and you should get a HQL in the mail in 2 Weeks.
FYI: You can log back onto the Web Site to check your Application Status any time after submitting the Application.
Scott's Gunsmithing Service
231 Thelma Avenue
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
Phone: 410 761-9815
You can also or use our contact form.
Tuesday 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
Wednesday 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
Thursday 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
Friday 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
Saturday 9:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M.